Category video art
About the human conditionWhat does it mean to be human in the current media-driven world? What is appreciated more –materialistic commodities or spiritual values? Where is the distinction between a genuine expression of sympathy and a fake act of politeness?
We are all faulty. To one extent or another. Like the goods that we surround ourselves with in order to feel momentary happiness. The faulty ones are tucked away. They have no chance for improvement. We do, it seems; yet we rarely take the leap. Too hard, too much effort, too difficult.
The title ‘About the human condition’ is a quotation from an essay by Magnus af Petersens on video artist Keren Cytter [artist] whose work is a an inspiration for this project and my own practice. It looks at the complicated concept of human nature –those cliché yet inevitable notions of love, trust, betrayal, and moral choice and exploring them through the cinematic medium. These works are touching and intimate, unsettling yet accessible.
Curated by Olga Koroleva [artist]
- Daniel O’Reilly - Schadenfreude
- Samantha Penn - Old wounds
- Jade Heritage - Laura
- Uta Baldauf - Poetry is dangerous
- Sam Hickson - Relational psychology tes..
- Tom Ketteringham - Does a Happy Meal make yo..
- Sarah Filmer - Unravel
- David Theobald - Deepest sympathy
- Christina Millare - Bathtubs and Desert Islan..
- Carla Easton - I love you so-lo